Participants will travel independently to study Spanish in a Spanish immersion school in South America; the options are endless! You'll live with a host family and enjoy a wide range of activities which vary by country, school, and location: traditional cooking classes, salsa dance lessons, hikes, museums, ruins, waterfalls, and volunteer opportunities. Additional weeks of study and volunteerism are possible. Instructor will help with research and planning.
This is independent travel study so you pick the dates; classes typically begin on Mondays. You'll study for 3 or 4 hours per day either morning or afternoon and can register to receive 6 quarter hours at the 400 or 500 level per week for up to 4 weeks. Credits are issued by Heritage Institute and Antioch University Seattle. Minimal additional assignments are required for credit; PDU and clock hour options are also available.
For information about similar programs in other Latin American countries as well as credit for volunteer and cultural learning projects, click here or on the bottom link, below. Contact information is available on the Registration Form.
- REGISTRATION FORM/Cost and Assignment Summaries
- Cancellation Policy & Liability RELEASE FORM 1
- Heritage RELEASE FORM 2
- SYLLABUS (1st wk; syllabi for add'l wks are similar)
- Course EVALUATION FORM - optional
- PACKING LIST and Recommendations
- Pack light site: onebag.com
- "Before you go" list
- Heritage Institute/Antioch University Seattle
- Stacey's Travel Photos with blog and travelogue links
- CDC Health Information
- Google Online Translator
- Dial-A-Verb with Online Verb Conjugator Link
- Langenscheidt Spanish/English Dictionary (my favorite) on Amazon.com
- Addall.com - great used book search engine
- Live & Learn in Latin America
1) Download the REGISTRATION FORM and BOTH RELEASES; fill them out and send them to me, Stacey Holeman, at the address on the registration form with a CHECK* made out to Live and Learn in Latin America for $600 per week (6 quarter hours at the 400 or 500 level); don't worry about the course numbers. (60 clock hours or PDUs per week are available for $400). *There's a Paypal option now - see below.2) Purchase your airline tickets. I like www.kayak.com because you can experiment with different airports and dates. I sometimes choose to buy my flights through www.orbitz.com because they promise to credit the difference if another traveler finds your itinerary at a cheaper price before you go.
3) Contact the Spanish school and make reservations for your study; they can help with ground transportation, too. You will pay them directly.
4) Let me know if there's more I can do to help and tell me when you've made the arrangements - can't wait to hear!